Thursday, October 8, 2009

Glee: A show even non-musical people can get behind

In past posts, I've made my love of Glee well known. But this week's episode was truly amazing. I found myself in the beginning actually slapping my knee at the remarks Sue Sylvester (cheerleading coach extraordinaire) made throughout the entire show, especially when witnessing Will and Emma's lunch break conversation ("I'm trying desperately to ignore the treacly sweet inanity of your asinine conversation, but I've got bile in my mouth and will hold my tongue no longer"). Jane Lynch better be up on the Emmy award announcement screen next year, or I will cry foul.

This week Sue's schemes to bring down the Glee club were taking to a new level, as she switched tactics. Instead of bringing the club down from the inside, she would take down the man himself. Noticing the connection between Emma and Will, she heads over to Will's apartment and informs Will's wife Terri of her observation. The plan is this: get Terri a job as school nurse so that she can keep an eye out on her husband, resulting in a awkward situation for all parties involved. Here we get to see Terri in her true desperation, and it was glorious. Now, I'm not exactly a Terri fan (team Emma all the way!) but to see her playing into Sue's plans, unaware of the puppet strings, couldn’t help but feel a tad sorry for her. But that all ended when her misguided suggestion of giving the kids pseudoephedrine was reveled (more on that later).

Let's face it, nobody likes a homewrecker. But obsessive compulsive Emma is so lovable compared to desperate and self-centered Terri (who's pretending to be pregnant and taking Quinn's baby to claim as her own); it's hard not to pick Emma. And let me tell you, the sexual tension between Will and Emma was in great form last night. In the teachers' lounge, as Will is trying to figure out how to get the kids motivated, Emma discovers Will has mustard on his "cute Kirk Douglas chin dimple." Prompted by Will, she takes her plastic lunch lady gloved hand and wipes the mustard away. So cute! Their unrequited love takes a turn when Terri convinces Ken, Emma's boyfriend (and I say that in the loosest meaning of the word), to propose to her. In the end Emma accepts his proposal, which is so sad. I really wish she would stop being so soft-spoken and stand up for herself. Take charge, girl!

The glee kids are in an epic battle of the sexes singing competition this episode. They had to create a mash-up of songs and the winner got to pick the song for sectionals. The boys performed an excellent version of Bon Jovi's "It's my life" and Ushers "My Confession," while the girls sang Beyonce's "Halo" and "Walking on Sunshine." Both great performances, but unfortunately they were enhanced by Terri's vitamin regiment. These "vitamins" were actually the aforementioned pseudoephedrine pills that Terri thought were safe because their "over the counter...right next to the candy." Oh,Lord. Anyway, in the end the principal finds out and Will's leadership is called into question. Will must now have a co-chair and I bet you can't guess who it is. Well, if you guessed Sue Sylvester, you get a gold star!

If this episode is any indication of what the rest of the series will be, I'm all in. It's refreshing to see such talented writers and actors on network television.

Just because I love Sue's isms so much here are other gems:

Commenting on motivating children, "they need to be terrified. It's like mother's milk to them."

And, writing in her journal about her morning, she states, "tried to make a smoothie out of beef bones, breaking my blender."

No comments:

Post a Comment