Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Vincent D’Onofrio leaving Criminal Intent

After eight seasons, Vincent D’Onofrio will be leaving Law and Order: Criminal Intent at the beginning of season nine in a two-part episode. The Criminal Intent reins will then be past to Jeff Goldblum, who took over for Chris Noth this past season.

D’Onofrio explains his departure, “I have always been, and have always viewed myself, as a character actor, and the great opportunity that Dick [Wolf] presented to me to develop the Goren character on Criminal Intent was successful beyond my wildest expectations. After eight seasons, and with the addition of Jeff Goldblum, now is the perfect time for me to explore other acting opportunities and I leave the show knowing it is in great hands with Jeff.” (more information at Aussiello files, EW.com)

Premiering in 2001, D’Onofrio starred as lead detective Robert Goren with partner Alex Eames (Kathryn Erbe). In 2005, after D’Onofrio suffered from exhaustion on set, the series was split up, alternating episodes with new cast member Chris Noth.

D’Onofrio won’t be the only one to exit the series. Kathryn Erbe will also be leaving, along with Eric Bogosian, who portrays Captain Ross. Julianne Nicholson (Detective Wheeler) left late last season because of her impending motherhood. She will be replaced by Saffron Burrows.

I’ve been a Criminal Intent fan ever since I happened past the show, during one of my channel changing binges. I stayed, in large part, because of D’Onofrio and his portrayal of Bobby Goren. Goren is this big powerhouse of a man, who uses psychology to manipulate criminals into confessing. Vincent does it so well that you can’t peel your eyes away from the TV set. Ever since they decide to alternate episodes between Noth and D’Onofrio, and eventually Jeff Golblum, I always missed seeing Goren and Eames every week. Although Goldblum is great at what he does, Criminal Intent is Vincent D’Onofrio.

In a statement, D’Onofrio says, “For all my loyal CI fans, I wouldn’t be surprised if Goren pops up from time to time.” Isn’t that like taking candy away from a baby, giving it back, and then taking it away again? It’s just a little cruel, in my opinion. But, on the other hand, we would be given a little fix of D’Onofrio. Just enough to tide us fans over until his next project.

The new season will premiere next year in late spring.

1 comment:

  1. For fans of LOCI -

    savinggorenandeamesnow.com

    there is a grassroots movement going on to save GOREN and EAMES...pleas vist our website to find out more!

    ReplyDelete